Friday, April 25, 2008

jesus for president...

I'd vote for Him...

(of course, I don't really think He's running)

Still, this new book by Shane Claiborne & Chris Haw is a very interesting book. The graphics are meticulous and stunning. Someone really took their time on this one.

But the message is what's even more stunning.

Did you know that the Bible tells us that we're to be different from the world & the government and all that? Weird, I know! Apparently, we've been called to be a 'peculiar people'... living by a different set of rules, than what the government dishes out. How revolutionary!

As Shane and Chris walk us through the Bible, we gain a fresh perspective on God's relationship with varying forms of government. Then, we get to spend quite a bit of time focusing on the political context of Christ's life.

Granted, I'm not finished, but in the middle of a torturous election year, this book is a refreshing call for a radical departure from political/religion-as-usual and a call for 'change' that actually makes a difference.

(I may actually write-in 'Jesus' this November...)

2 comments:

Bill Heroman said...

Ah, context! What an idea.

Thanks for the rec, Jeff. I'll have to check that out...

Out Of Jersey said...

I tried reading Shane's first book.... no go. Though I am more interested in this one.